Below are some helpful hints on everything you need to do berfore you move:
- Plan your move from as early as possible. Consider also that the first and last days of the month are extra busy.
- Consider having a garage sale to remove unwanted and unnecessary items.
- Begin using up large supplies of frozen and canned goods
- Have you moving company conduct a household goods survey in orcder to provide you with a written estimate as to cost.
- Pre-arrange for the telephone and utilities to be connected at your new home for the day you move in. .
- Have rugs and drapes that you are taking cleaned and arrange any alterations that may be required for them to fit into your new home. If you intend on doing your own packing, start collecting suitable containers around four to six weeks prior to your moving date. You can purchase specialised containers from most moving companies.
- It can also be handy to collect packing materials such as: tissue paper, paper towels, newspaper, tape, scissors or a sharp knife, felt marker, notebook and pencil.
- Set goals and deadlines to ensure that all packing is completed by moving day. You may want to pack one room per week. Attach a list of contents to each carton.
- Pack a box for instant needs on arrival. Such as; cleaning equipment, dish towel, crockery, cutlery, coffee and tea, desired food and drinks, saucepans, toilet paper, toiletries, garbage bags, torch, tool kit.
- Be on hand when the movers arrive or arrange for somebody to be there on your behalf. They will need to direct the movers and may need to sign documents on you behalf pertaining to costs.
- When you arrive at the new house, ensure that the house is ready for occupancy prior to the removal van arriving.
- Check all goods ask they are unloaded.
House prices are on the rise. Find out the value of your property now.
Get a free online property report from Hicks Real Estate. It takes seconds.